About Me

My photo
After 7 years of dating I finally married my high school sweetheart in Oct of 2009. I had always dreamed of marrying him and starting a family. On February 16, 2011 that dream came true when we welcomed our beautiful baby boy, Colin James, into our lives. I look forward to sharing our joy with you!

Friday, June 10, 2011

My Little Miracle: Colin James Harrell


How I found out I was pregnant:

On June 17, 2010 I woke up early, went into the bathroom, and took a pregnancy test.  I had taken one 3 days prior that was negative. But by this time I was already 2 weeks late.  So on the 17th I decided to test again.  I saw the first line that said the test was working and then I noticed another faint line crossing the first.  I knew what this meant, but still didn't completely believe it.  Besides, my eyes were still blurry from just waking up.  I gathered my things and headed to Wal Mart to get a test that says 'Pregnant' or 'Not Pregnant' and went to my moms house.  I showed her the first test and she said that the second line looked too faint to her as well.  So I went and took the new digital test.  The stupid thing flashes an hour glass while it is testing your pee, so you have to sit there and watch it until it finally stops flashing and displays your results.  I remember standing in the kitchen with my mom and it felt like an eternity before it stopped flashing and said PREGNANT!

The Pregnancy:

Well, since I wrote in my journal every week during my pregnancy, I'm not going to spend much time on it here.  I did my fair share of complaining during the pregnancy but it was actually a pretty beautiful experience.  Colin was constantly active, which was exciting to begin with, but when he ran out of room it became incredibly painful.  He was very strong and would push so hard with his feet I thought he was going to break my ribs.  I was lucky not to get stretch marks until the very end and they are only on my sides.  I did get one small one where my belly piercing is but it's not even noticeable now.  So I have to say thank you to my mom for blessing me with great skin!!  I gained 43 pounds and had lost 30 of it by 3 or 4 weeks postpartum.  Now I've lost all but 4.5 pounds! 

The Birth:

On Valentines Day, February 14, Kevin and I went to eat and then to a movie.  After the movie I noticed my feet were swelling up a bit.  This was unusual for me so I knew something was brewing.  The next day I was even more swollen and was feeling kind of out of it.  I was one of the unlucky pregnant ladies who experienced Braxton Hicks contractions pretty much the entire second half of my pregnancy.  I noticed they had gotten a lot more intense, but I really didn't think anything of it.  I just knew I wasn't feeling right so I called the doctor.  They had me go to CVS and check my blood pressure.  It was high, so they moved my next appointment to the next morning.

Wednesday, February 16, Kevin and I arrived at my doctor appointment.  I was 39 weeks and 1 day.  Once my doctor saw me she couldn't believe how big I was.  She said that I didn't have any more room.  He was up in my ribs, but he was also very low in my pelvis.  I had been thinning for several weeks already and dilated.  She had checked me the week before and I was 2 centimeters and 100% effaced.  On the 16th, I was already 3 centimeters.  She asked me if I was having contractions and I said I didn't think so.  Nothing much different than the Braxton Hicks that I had been having all along.  Since my blood pressure had gotten high and I was starting to swell, she asked me if I was comfortable being induced.  Kevin and I were hoping she would say that and we said Yes!  We already had my bag packed and it was in the car.  She sent us up to Labor and Delivery right then!  She told me since I was already 3 centimeters, as soon as she comes up to break my water, I could have the epidural at any time! 

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment