About Me

My photo
After 7 years of dating I finally married my high school sweetheart in Oct of 2009. I had always dreamed of marrying him and starting a family. On February 16, 2011 that dream came true when we welcomed our beautiful baby boy, Colin James, into our lives. I look forward to sharing our joy with you!

Friday, July 29, 2011

Cry-It-Out

Colin has slept through the night since he was 2 months old... He gradually slept longer and longer until he was sleeping between 10-12 hours a night.  Suddenly, about a week and a half ago, that all changed...

Tuesday night Colin went to bed at 9pm and ended up waking up 4 times between 11pm and 1:30am.  He doesn't just wake up talking like he used to in the morning, he wakes up screaming.  After that he finally slept for a little while and didn't wake up again until 5am. I don't know why he's acting like this at night.  Our routine hasn't changed at all.  I know it could be teething, but EVERY night for over a week now it has been like this... I even gave him some Tylenol before bed and it didn't help at all.  I'm pretty sure it's not gas... even when he had gas he slept better than this!  A small part of me wonders if he's having bad dreams... but I just can't tell...

I called Colin's nurse and she asked me a bunch of questions.  She said it doesn't sound like he's sick or has an ear infection.  She thinks that he may have had some tooth pain for a couple nights, and since I picked him up and rocked him back to sleep, he got into a routine of wanting to be held every time he wakes up... Crap... She suggested that we let him cry-it-out... I've never been a huge fan of this method.  Especially since he's been such a great sleeper up until now, I never had to deal with letting him cry.  I looked up the technique and I'm willing to try it.  But only if I feel like he's not sick or hurting for any reason.

I usually rock him to sleep, or on the rare occasion he will fall asleep nursing.  If I put him in his crib awake he will start crying after a few minutes.  I think he has only gone to sleep on his own in his crib without fussing a few times.  So I figure if I'm going to use the cry-it-out method in the middle of the night, why not start using it when putting him to bed...

I decided to try it last night.  We did our normal routine, but this time after reading him a story, instead of rocking him to sleep, I put him in his crib, gave him his paci, turned on his music and left the room.  He immediately started crying. I waited 5 minutes, went back in and gave him his paci again, rubbed his head, and left the room.  He kept screaming, but I waited another 5 minutes before going in and repeating the same thing.  I did this every 5 minutes for 20 minutes and after the last time he didn't start crying again.  By now it was a few minutes past 9pm, I waited until about 9:30 to check on him and he was sleeping peacefully!!  Kevin and I went to bed around 10:30 and Colin didn't wake us up until 6:30am!!! 

Tonight we did the same routine but this time he cried for 5 minutes, I went in and gave him his paci and rubbed his head, he cried for about 2 minutes more and then stopped.  I checked on him by checking his monitor and he was laying there looking around quietly.  I just checked on him 2 hours later and he's sound asleep.  :-)  I hope he sleeps all night tonight like he did last night! 


No comments:

Post a Comment